Random Image - How to use
This app displays random images from image lists that you configure. Therefore, you first have to configure an image list before you can enjoy the display of random images.
Setup of the image list
When you open the app for the first time, the app will first search for image folders on your device (including SD card), and an image list will be created that contains all these image folders. You can then use this list in order to view random images from your device. Afterwards you can change the image list, if you want to see only certain image folders from your device.
Opening the configuration page
Generally, in order to configure your image list, you have to open the configuration page of the list. You can access this page in the following ways:
- By long pressing on an image while viewing it, and then pressing “Display image list”.
- From the main configuration page that displays all your image lists.
- From the configuration page of a widget or notification using this image list.
Adding images to the image list
If you want to add images to your list, there are the following options:
- On the image list configuration page, press the icon . Then
you see a list of
- Your other image lists (blue)
- The image folders on your device (yellow)
- The parent folders of these folders (orange).
- Select an image folder (yellow). Then the images from this folder will be displayed. You may then either select images from this folder for addition, or you may press the symbol in order to add the whole folder. You can add a filter in order to display only folders containing a certain character string in their path.
- Select one of your image lists (blue) in order to add it to your list as nested list.
- Select a parent folder (orange) in order to add it to your list including all subfolders.
- Press the symbol and then select multiple folders for addition.
- Press the symbol and then browse your file system in order to select image folders or images for addition.
- Alternatively, you may display a photo in the gallery app and send the image from there to the Random Image app, or you may select multiple photos in the gallery app and send them to the Random Image app.
Via the symbol you may remove images and folders from your image list.
Included lists are displayed as a blue folder. If you make a long click on such a list, you may adjust how frequent images from this nested list are taken. In this way you may increase the display frequency of pictures from small lists. The same you may do for folders.
Viewing random images via the launcher
- If you press the launcher icon, the app will start displaying a random image from your random image list on full screen. If you have configured multiple image lists, you are first asked to select the image list from which you want to display images.
- If you want to see more details, just zoom as usual with two fingers.
- If you want to see a different image from the list, just flip the image away.
- You can go one image back by flipping in the other direction.
- If you want to know the file location of this image, make a long press on the image. From here, you may also do
- Show the image in the gallery
- Send the image (e.g. via email)
- Display of the photo location on a map
- Use the image as widget image
- Remove the image from the image list
Using widgetsThere are three types of widgets that you can place on your home screen in order to see random images.
- Mini Widget: This widget behaves like the launcher, as long as you have only one image list. If you have multiple image lists configured, then the Mini Widget allows to display a random image of a specific image list.
- Random Image Frame: This widget places one of the images of your list on the home screen and changes it in regular intervals. You have various configuration possibilities.
- Random Image Deck: This widget places the images of your list in random order as a card deck or as scrollable list on the home screen. You can move from one image to the next.
If you tap on the Random Image Frame or the Random Image Deck, then you can see the displayed photo in detail. From here, you may flip the image away in order to see other images from the same list.
The Random Image Frame also allows you to switch to a new random image (via tap on the symbol on the right border of the frame), or to change the configuration of the frame (via tap on the symbol on the left border of the frame).
If you have multiple image lists, then you can place widgets for multiple image lists on your home screen, so for example you may have always a photo of your spouse and a photo of your last vacation in parallel on your screen.
Please note that directly after a reboot of the phone or tablet, the external SD card is not yet accessible. Therefore, after a reboot, the widgets can only display images from internal phone memory. If you want to see a nice image directly after reboot, you should add one nice photo from internal phone memory to each of your image lists.
As alternative to widgets, you may use notifications to see images from your image lists at varying time intervals. The configuration of notifications can be done from the main configuration page. You find more details in the section Notification settings .
The main configuraton page may be accessed in the following ways:
- By adding the launcher for the random image configuration to your home screen. (This is a second launcher provided by the app.)
- When you are on the configuration page of an image list, by tapping either on the top left corner or on the icon .
Here you have the following possibilities:
- Go to the configuration of an individual image list (by pressing on an image list symbol)
- Add a new image list (by pressing )
- Select multiple image lists for backup, restore or deletion (by pressing )
- Go to the generall app settings (by pressing )
- Change the widget settings
- Change the notification settings (and add or delete notifications)
- Backup, restore, rename, delete or clone a single image list (via long pressing an image list symbol